Address: Tünel Meydanı Beyoğlu
Web Site: tunel.iett.gov.tr
Working Hours: Every day: 6:00-22:00
Built by French engineers and inaugurated on January 17, 1875, Istanbul's Tunel underground train allowed European diplomats and businessmen to ride between their waterside offices in Karakoy (Galata) and their hilltop residences in Beyoglu (Pera) on steam-powered, gas-lit cars in 90 seconds.
It was only the third underground railway built in the world by that time, and was the shortest.
For over a century it was Istanbul's only underground train.