Galata Dervishes House Museum
Address: Şahkulu Mh. Galip Dede Caddesi No: 15 Tünel Beyoğlu
Phone: (0212) 245 4141
Working Hours: April 15 - November 1: 09:00 - 19:00
November 1 - April 15: 09:00 - 17:00
Galata Mevlevihanesi Muzesi is the first Mawlawi House in Istanbul which was built by Divane Semai Mehmed Chalabi Dede, Sheikh of Afyon Mawlawi House, on the land at Galata ridge which was owned by Iskender Pasha during the reign of Bayezid II.
The building was swayed by the big earthquake in Istanbul in 1509 otherwise known as "little doomsday". The house was repaired and renovated and turned out to be a complex of buildings after new sections were added. The first known reparation was the construction work in the Mawlawi House by the Fiduciary of the Kitchen, Ismail Aga.
The oldest property that still survives today is the Hasan Agha Fountain, which is dated back to 1649. The Mawlawi house was destroyed in the big fire at Tophane in 1765 and repaired in the same year by Yenisehirli Osman Efendi who was designated as the buildings' fiduciary by Sultan Mustafa III.